By Gina Ulery
Continuing Education & License Renewal Requirements for Ohio Counselors, Social Workers and MFTs
Thirty Clock Hours of continuing education are required for all license renewals every two years from the date of licensure. Three of the thirty hours must cover ETHICS. Ethics CEUs may or may not contain the word ethics in the title or description. Some CEUs cover ‘ethical subjects’ , such as: productivity, documentation, termination, HIPPA, boundary concerns, cultural diversity, human trafficking and some types of supervision.
- LPCC-S & LPC-S counselors holding the supervising counselor designation must complete 3 hours of supervisory training per renewal cycle. This type of supervision needs to be focused on training that will help supervisor to help their supervisees (counselor trainees and clinical residents) to gain the experience required for licensure as a professional counselor or professional clinical counselor, and to improve their own skills as a supervising counselor. ref. 4757-9-02(A)
- LISW-S holding the supervising designation must complete 3 hours of supervisory training per renewal cycle This type of supervision needs to be focused on training supervision of LSW’s working toward their two years of supervised practice or SWTs in their field work. TIP: supervision should contain content that includes the: supervisor, supervisee and the client. ref: 475709-03(D) / 4757-23-01 paragraph (E)(3)(b)
- IMFT-S All supervising independent marriage and family therapists shall maintain supervisory status by obtaining five hours in an AAMFT approved supervision refresher course or equivalent supervision course every five years. ref. 4757-29-01 (F)(4)
- Social workers may complete 30 hours of distance learning training for each renewal.
- Counselors may only complete 15 hours of distance learning training for each renewal.
- Marriage & Family Therapists may only complete 15 hours of distance learning training for each renewal.
A 20% discount will automatically deduct at checkout for all Ohio-licensed Counselors, Social Workers and MFTs. If for any reason it doesn’t, enter coupon code PDRPC196 to apply. Coupon expires 12/31/2015.
Professional Development Resources is approved as a provider of continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB Provider #1046, ACE Program); by the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC Provider #5590); by the American Psychological Association (APA); and by the *Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage & Family Therapist Board (Provider #RCST100501). *Ohio Counselors & MFTs: check CE accreditation statement for specific course approval – if Ohio is not listed, the course is not approved.
CE information obtained from the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage & Family Therapist Board website on 11/4/2014.