The latest edition of Therapy Tidbits is now available!
Therapy Tidbits is a 1-hour online continuing education (CE) course comprised of select articles from the July/August 2016 issue of The National Psychologist, a private, independent bi-monthly newspaper intended to keep psychologists informed about practice issues. The articles included in this course are:
▪ Mental Health Problems Abound in Flint Lead Crisis – discusses problems afflicting residents of Flint, MI in the city’s water contamination crisis
▪ Medicare Payments to Focus on Value not Volume – explains the upcoming Medicare changes and details the new Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS)
▪ Conference on Telemedicine Heavily Attended– reviews concepts from the American Telemedicine Association’s (ATA) 2016 Annual Conference and Trade Show
▪ Psychologists Can Fill Needs for Autism Spectrum Disorders – discusses the shortage of professionals available to secure assessment and treatment options and how psychologists can help
▪ Giving Professional Commentary on Public Figures – provides ethical guidance for giving professional commentary on public figures
▪ Reduced Antipsychotics Recommended for Dementia – reviews the revised guidelines from the American Psychiatric Association on limiting use of antipsychotic drugs to treat patients with dementia
▪ SAMHSA adds Thought Field Therapy to National Registry – discussess the controversy surrounding the addition of Thought Field Therapy (TFT) to SAMHSA’s registry
▪ Electronic Appendages Damage Real Therapy – provides a reality check on the use of digital devices in the therapeutic relationship
▪ Managing Risk with Alcohol-Abusing Clients – proposes the use of a dual-purpose informed consent by therapists who work with special populations or those characterized by high risk behaviors
▪ Financial Therapy Opportunities Growing – offers guidance on how to support individuals suffering from financial stress and tap into an emerging market
This online course provides instant access to the course materials (PDF download) and CE test. After enrolling, click on My Account and scroll down to My Active Courses. From here you’ll see links to download/print the course materials and take the CE test (you can print the test to mark your answers on it while reading the course document). Successful completion of the online CE test (80% required to pass, 3 chances to take) and course evaluation are required to earn a certificate of completion. Course #11-02 | 2016 | 17 pages | 10 posttest questions
Professional Development Resources is approved to offer continuing education by the American Psychological Association (APA); the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC); the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB); the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA); the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA); the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR); the Alabama State Board of Occupational Therapy; the Florida Boards of Social Work, Mental Health Counseling and Marriage and Family Therapy, Psychology & School Psychology, Dietetics & Nutrition, Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, and Occupational Therapy Practice; the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker & MFT Board and Board of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology; the South Carolina Board of Professional Counselors & MFTs; and by the Texas Board of Examiners of Marriage & Family Therapists and State Board of Social Worker Examiners.