Psychologists licensed in Washington DC are required to renew their licenses biennially on December 31st of odd-numbered years. 30 hours of continuing education (CE) are required to renew. 3 hours must be on ethics and 3 hours must pertain to cultural competence. 15 hours are allowed from APA-approved online or home study courses.
Professional Development Resources is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Professional Development Resources maintains responsibility for all programs and content. Over 100 online and home study courses are available at: http://www.pdresources.org/Courses/Psychology/AllCourses/CourseID/1/
CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
An applicant for renewal of a license shall submit proof of having completed thirty (30) hours of approved continuing education credit during the two-year (2) period preceding the date the license expires.
An applicant under this section shall prove completion of required continuing education credits by submitting with the application the following information with respect to each continuing education program or activity:
- The name and address of the sponsor of the program;
- The name of the program, its location, a description of the subject matter covered, a complete schedule with time allotments for each topic or subtopic and lunch or breaks, and the name of each instructor or speaker;
- The date(s) on which the applicant participated in the program;
- The hours of continuing education credit claimed; and
- A copy of the continuing education completion verification document that includes the sponsor’s signature and seal.
A licensee shall complete three (3) continuing education credits in each of the following:
- Ethics or risk liability; and
- Cultural competence.
APPROVED CONTINUING EDUCATION PROGRAMS AND ACTIVITIES
The Board may, in its discretion, approve continuing education programs and activities that contribute to the growth of an applicant in professional competence in the practice of psychology and which meet the other requirements of this section.
The Board may approve the following types of continuing education programs:
- A seminar or workshop;
- An education program given at a conference;
- In-service training; and
- An online or home study course; or
- An undergraduate or graduate course given at an accredited college or university provided that the undergraduate course shall be acceptable only if the Board determines that the course is required or needed by the licensee as an introductory component of a professional development plan for the purpose of entering an area of psychology for which the licensee is currently not qualified to practice independently.
To qualify for Board approval, a continuing education program shall do the following:
- Be current in its subject matter;
- Be developed by qualified individuals of whom one shall be a psychologist;
- Be taught of facilitated by at least one qualified individual; and
- Meet one of the following requirements:
- Be administered by an accredited college or university;
- Be approved by a Board-recognized psychology organization, accredited health care facility, or other legally constituted organization; or
- Be submitted by the program sponsor to the Board for review no less than sixty (60) days prior to the date of the presentation and be approved by the Board before the program or activity starts.
The program or activity shall include each of the following:
- The sponsor’s name and address;
- The program’s name;
- The location;
- A description and specific goals;
- The target audience’s maximum size and professional level (Master’s or doctorate);
- The program’s tentative or actual schedule, including the allotted time for lunch, breaks and topic headings or subheadings;
- An appropriately constructed evaluation form and continuing education completion verification document;
- The name and credentials of each instructor or speaker including relevant education, training, research, publications, work samples(s), honor or awards, special recognition and, if applicable;
- The evaluation results of comparable programs or activities previously conducted.
An applicant shall have the burden of verifying whether a program is approved by the Board pursuant to this section prior to attending the program.
The Board may approve the following continuing education activities:
- Serving as an instructor or speaker at a conference, seminar, workshop, or in-service training;
- Being the author or coauthor of an article (including “critiques” and “responses”) or a book review in a professional journal or periodical, or author or coauthor of a book or book chapter;
- Serving as an editor (including “associate” and “junior” levels) for a professional journal, periodical or book;
- Serving as an article reviewer for a professional journal or periodical; or
- Having developed an online or home study continuing education course.
A licensee shall receive no more than fifteen (15) continuing education credits for completing any combination of online and home study courses.
The District of Columbia Board of Psychology: http://hpla.doh.dc.gov/hpla/cwp/view,A,1195,Q,488253,hplaNav,%7C30661%7C,.asp